Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Script Frenzy

Back in November I participated in NaNoWriMo, which is short for National Novel Writing Month. Everyone has a novel in them they say, and Nano gives the chance to participate in a worldwide writing slam of sorts. The goal is to write 50,000 words (or ~175 page novel). I used the 50,000 words to write some short stories, articles and sketches but the exercise was intimidating nonetheless. At most I'd written 20-25 pages up until that point so this proved a fantastic way to break out of the shell. Once you login (free!) you can update your word count. You can make friends by genre and region etc. At the end you upload your whole document (it will scramble it for you) and it will validate your completion. Some people have successfully been published as a result of participating.

My friend just told me that here in April there is a sister project from Nano called Script Frenzy. The goal is to write 100 pages in 30 days. Since my UCB sketch class a year and a half ago I've done nothing in script format but this sounds like another fun challenge.

What I Learned From Last Year:
-Skipping more than 3 days at a time makes things much more difficult
-Figure out the pace that works for you. As long as you hit the goal you're in good shape.

I'm very excited for the challenge. I wonder if outlining now is a cheat?

No comments: