Friday, January 06, 2012

Food I'm No Longer Scared to Make: Chicken Paprikash

One of my resolutions this year is to work new entrees and spices into the repetoire.

The 1st New Dish for the New Year: Chicken Paprikash.  - I first heard the name via Master Chef back in the summer. Honestly I was interested because the name is appealing. I'd never used Paprika much other than with home fries on occasion so to have it as the lead spice was outside of my Indian food-centric comfort zone.

In learning that it uses cream heavily, I was sold. Clearly this is not for someone searching for healthy but most likely searching for delicious.

Here is the nice simple recipe I followed:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_paprikash/

The big substitution I made was to use heavy cream rather than sour cream. The final result was actually quite good. The sauce is rich and creamy with a beautiful beige-red color. The smokiness of the paprika really comes through. It's worth noting that I bought a decent one called Pride of Szegeo.  The chicken paprikash was delicious though next time boneless chicken will be used. (It makes it easier to mix in sauce). For the second helping the next day I picked up some egg noodles (which were conveniently on sale for $0.99!).




Score one for Team Hungary. I now understand why it's the official spice of that country.
I'd score this a 5 out of 5 on the Raj Food scale (ROOD).

No comments: