Monday, January 15, 2007

Super Raj Ritual

I've always had a creative side but it's not something I've nurtured actively. One of my biggest issues also was waiting for inspiration...which of course came at inopportune times or not at all.

I was introduced recently to a book by Twyla Tharp which address this issue head-on. The thrust of her book is that you can get creative as needed but to activate that part of your brain you ritualized your activities leading upto it.

A few examples from the book: Every morning she wakes up at 5:30 and take a cab to her gym. It's the cab ride itself which is the ritual.
I have several rituals: 1) Come home watch TV 2) Read articles on Fark for hours. Sadly, neither of those activities are helping to get the creative juices flowing.

The new plan is to:
1) Light some sandalwood incense.
2) Sit in front of my newly clean desk
3) Block any sites that might be fun to read
4) Drink coffee non-stop to maintain alertness
5) Most importantly: Be willing to stare at a blank page

No comments: