Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Foods of Our Times Update: Collard Greens


Quick update on the collard greens from the Saturday farmer's market trip. 

Here is essentially what I did (serves 2):

~1/2 pound fresh collard greens
~1/4 Vidalia onion
2 cloves garlic
1-2 strips bacon or fakin bacon
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 tomatoes, diced
8 oz veg stock
a bit of olive oil
Chili Power (optional)

Coat a saucepan with a few tablespoons of oil. Add in your onions and cook until the onions are a little translucent. At this point add in crushed garlic cloves and bacon/fakin bacon/ham (the more of this you add the smokier the flavor. Allow to cook for a minute or so. Next add your diced tomato, collard greens, veg stock. Now cover the saucepan at a low-medium temperature for about 40-45 minutes (this isn't spinach so it takes awhile). Most of the liquid should be absorbed by the end into the collard. Collard should be tender but not wilted.
Add salt, pepper and chili powder to taste.

Results: I made it in the above fashion and it was not totally successful. Well, I should prefaced by saying that I liked the flavor but I'm a big fan of the stuff. As previously mentioned, my girlfriend wasn't a fan of the earthiness the first time but this version "I liked it better than last time." It's the small victories, friends.

No comments: