Thursday, June 02, 2011

Adventures in Running: Governor's Island 10k

I absolutely love Governor's Island in New York Harbor. I've been 4 or 5 times for festivals, riding bikes and to just hang out. They offer free ferries from Brooklyn and Manhattan during the on season.

I just read that they are holding a Northface sponsored 10k called Get Outside on the island on June 26th, 2011. The problem? That's in only 24 days. At most I've done around 4 miles. Due to slacking for the last month or so I've back down to 3 miles or so. Is this enough time to train up to 6.2? It's cutting it close but it sounds like a fun opportunity with great scenery. One advantage: the terrain is pretty flat.

My strategy will be as follows:
I'll run alternating days.
1) 1st week: 3.5-4.5 mile runs.
2) 2nd week: 4-5 mile runs
3) 3rd week: 5-6.2 mile runs
4) I'll give myself off a couple days before the run itself.

Wish me luck dearest reader. I will reward myself with something tasty to be determined.

No comments: